Saturday, March 28, 2009

I Know What Boys Like, I Know What Guys Want. . .On The Hill

Hello kittens! Here at DSB we find out what boys like and we share it with you, dear readers. For this feature we interviewed an anonymous young male Hill Staffer and showed him photos of three Hollywood starlets, the latest "it" shoe, a fun handbag, and one fashion editor. Good times! Write in and let me know if you agree with him. Enjoy!



Hot off the runway the Louis Vuttion "Spicy" sandal. Dubbed by fashion editors as the shoe of the season and worn by everyone from Posh to Carine Roitfeld. I say this will be the most knocked off shoe of the year. Bebe all ready has a knockoff in their catalog. Not a fan of knock offs, but it does indicate popularity with the ladies. Let's see what our boy on the Hill thought. . .
"That shoe is crazy! And not cool crazy, just nutty weird crazy. When it is on her feet it looks like the shoe is decorated with some sort of hard candy food item. Which is gross and slightly nauseating. Food and feet not a good combo. . .On the other hand, alone it looks kind of like a work of art, folk art or something. . .remarkable and interesting. But on the feet its just nasty gross."

Actress Kristen Bell from Forgetting Sara Marshal and Veronica Mars wearing a super cute party frock. Totally on trend with the girly details, red lip, and pockets. What did the boy have to say. . .
"Now who is this?! Nice. . .oh yeah right the clothes. Umm. . .oh she is cute. Ok, right focusing now on the dress. Don't. Like. It. Not at all. I guess I would say an open back should be more traditional, WAY too much going on. All the that stuff, the bow, the pockets, and the straps. That's it! The straps remind me of a velcro strap from flag football! Not good. I know I would look at her, she would draw attention to herself, but I don't know if it really works. I think I see all these girls in these outfits like this and I think oh bless her heart she is somehow just trying to hard."

French Vouge Fashion Director Emmanuelle Alt, one of my favorites. She does everything in this tough, easy, sexy, and totally french way. And the guy from the Hill thinks. . .
"I am actually speechless. I mean, wow that is just cool and amazing and hot! I am Midwestern guy and that is CLEARLY exotic and foreign, but somehow it is really cool and I like it. She looks like she knows her shit and knows how to dress and take a risk and that is sexy! She looks very European. Plus even though I find her sexy, she really isn't showing any skin."

The boyfriend sweater has been a hugely popular trend. I personally wear it frequently. So let's see what guys think about their sweater on you. . .
"Liv Tyler. . .Oh My God and that is not in a good way!! Mr. Rogers sweater/dress. . .boobs peeking out?! Not endearing. Very pretty lady, made to look really silly and that is bad. Maybe sitting down it would look better? Liv is hot but still. . ."



We discussed ruffles and charming details a few weeks ago. This over sized ruffle/flower purse by Valentino is the epitome of ladylike charm and tongue in cheek humour. Our intrepid Hill Staffer says. . .
"Hate it. To cutesy for me. Way to sweet and prim...trying to hard to be cute. Old lady cute, but with a preppy southern belle like thing going on. It would be annoying if like someone I was taking to dinner or on a date wore that."



Up and coming starlet Elizabeth Banks in a Roberto Cavali dress. I feel like I have seen any number of Georgetown girls and DC women wearing something very similar to this. I would have sexed it up a bit with peep toe red high heels instead of a round toe black pump, but all in all I like it. Cut to the guy. . .
"I don't know. . she is pretty. I like her hair. But the pattern or whatever is weird. . don't know how many people could carry it off. Classy old Hollywood mixed with borderline way too Plain Jane. The hair and the body save the Plain Jane look, but not by much."

So there you have it folks, what a guy thinks of things we love. I guess we've learned why we dress for other women. But let's try to keep the men's thoughts in mind, because they are thinking SOMETHING about how you dress.

X to the O!!

Images courtsey of Garance Dore, I Love LV, InStyle Magazine, and Bergdorf Goodman.

No comments: